The Role of Microorganisms in Wastewater TreatmentSee upcoming dates
Course topics and features will include:
- Managing your microbes – and understanding their needs
- Bacteria, protozoa, metazoa
- Floc formation
- Providing the right environment
- Selecting the winners and losers
- Effects of temperature, mixing, nutrients, and dissolved oxygen
- Effects of pH, alkalinity, and toxins
- Managing and troubleshooting activated sludge processes
- Filamentous organisms
- Control of foam and scum
- Exercises and microscope demonstrations
Who Should Attend?
- Wastewater engineers, operators and managers
- Consulting engineers
- Federal agencies and military bases
- Wastewater equipment manufacturers
- Others interested in wastewater treatment
Overview of Microorganisms
- Physiology, growth and reproduction
- Environmental factors and microbial ecology
- Wastewater treatment and activated sludge
- Shapes, types, sizes
- Origin and growth
- Autotrophs, heterotrophs
- Aerobic, anaerobic, facultative bacteria
Protozoa, Rotifers, Nematodes
- Populations in wastewater treatment
- Environmental factors
- Control strategies
- Viscous bulking, scum formation
- Effects on activated sludge floc and settleability
- Control strategies
Activated Sludge Troubleshooting Workshop
- Nitrification, denitrification, BNR
- Microbe problem scenarios - and solutions
- Examples, case studies
Working with Microscopes
- Optical principles
- Tips and procedures
- Measuring and counting objects
Exercises, Discussions, and Demonstrations
Throughout the course, class exercises, discussions, and microscope demonstrations will be included, to help attendees learn and retain key points.
Steven Leach is a senior staff scientist with Novozymes Biologicals, Inc. He has more than 30 years of experience with wastewater biology, including fermentation, filament identification, treatment process evaluation, and onsite analysis during upsets, chlorination, and recovery. He has worked on the installation and start-up of over 20 fixed-film reactors units throughout the country. Steve is widely recognized for his expertise in identifying filaments and protists. He has completed onsite visits to wastewater treatment plants throughout North and South America, Europe, and Asia.
Ron Schuyler, PE, BCEE, WEF Fellow, CWP, is a nationally known microbiologist and engineer specializing in wastewater process troubleshooting, optimization, and activated sludge process control. He is the founder and owner of COWAC, and has more than 40 years of professional experience in this field. He is a Certified Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator, and has helped many facilities achieve regulatory compliance while saving energy and minimizing costs. Mr. Schuyler was recently elected as a Fellow of the Water Environment Federation.
Ned Paschke, PE, DEE, is a program director and professor of practice at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, specializing in analysis and improvement of water and wastewater systems and facilities. Before joining the UW-Madison, he was director of engineering for the Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District and a hydraulic engineering consultant for national and international engineering firms.
Upcoming dates (0)
Take this course when it’s offered next!
The Role of Microorganisms in Wastewater TreatmentCourse #: RA01533
The Role of Microorganisms in Wastewater TreatmentDate: Tue. October 08, 2019 – Thu. October 10, 2019
Fee covers morning and afternoon breaks, scheduled lunches, and course materials
- CEU: 1.8
- PDH: 18
Create a custom learning experience
We can deliver this course as an on-site learning experience tailored to your organization’s specific training needs.
On-site / Customizable
We Bring It to You
Build a tighter team with an on-site training course. Choose from our most popular topics. We’ll create a collaborative experience based on your class size and specifications.
We Build It for You
Shape a course to meet your specific training needs. Add specialized topics and technology. Tweak the course materials. Make it yours. We’ll make it possible.
We Create It With You
Start from scratch with an unbiased analysis of your company’s training needs. We’ll help you pinpoint opportunities and develop a smart program for your in-house talent.