This course will put you directly in the commissioning environment. You will review the fundamental components of lighting and lighting control systems. Then, we will help you better understand all of the stakeholders—from lighting concept, design, specification, installation, commissioning, and owner handover. Using class exercises with real-case studies, your expert instructor will help you learn how to optimize the delivery process to avoid common mistakes and maximize end-user satisfaction with the lighting system.
Who Should Attend?
- Electrical engineers
- Building owners/operators/managers
- Lighting designer
- Electrician/electrical contractor
- Energy/sustainability consultant
- Facility managers and maintenance staff
This course is offered the same week as "The Commissioning Process for Delivering Quality Constructed Projects." Students who attend both courses can sit for the exam, to earn their Accredited Commissioning Process Provider certificate.
Lighting/Control System Project Overview
- Project Roles: Owner/Architect/Lighting Designer/Design Engineer/Contractor/CxP
- Energy Codes and Standards: Cx, LEED, ASHRAE 90.1, IECC
- Lighting Design Overview
- OPR and BOD’s role in the lighting system design process
Lighting Control Systems (LCS) Fundamentals
- Occupancy Sensors, Daylighting, Timeclocks/Scene/Overrides
- Sensors, Controllers, and Actuators
- System types
- Standalone, Local Integration, Networked / Intelligent
- Communication and protocols
- Interfaces for control / programming
- System hardware vs. system software
- Specifying control systems
- Evaluation of systems and "or-equals"
Owner's Project Requirements (OPR) for Lighting Control Systems (LCS)
- OPR contents
- Energy efficiency strategies, goals, benchmarks
- Indoor environmental requirements and equipment and system expectations
- Exercise - develop a LCS OPR
Design Phase Activities
- LCS Basis of Design (BOD) development & content
- Exercise - Review example BOD
- Standards for lighting design and design assumptions
- Sample BOD (codes, standards and design parameters)
- Sequence of Operations (SoO)
- Exercise - Review example BOD, Review SoO
- Comparing vendor/manufacturer capabilities to BOD / SoO
- Design Review scope and how to provide productive comments
- Exercise - perform a lighting system design review
- Writing Control System Commissioning Specification
LCS Commissioning Phase Activities
- Construction Phase Tasks and Checklists
- Installation verification / certification
- Intro to Component Functional Checks
- Occupancy Sensing, Daylighting, Time Clocks, etc.
- System Acceptance Tests
- Exercise – Write / develop a Sequencing Test based on SoO
Upcoming dates (0)
Take this course when it’s offered next!