The Commissioning Process for LEED ProjectsSee upcoming dates
Are you about to tackle a LEED project? Learn from expert instructors on the LEED commissioning process so that you can complete your own LEED project smoothly and efficiently.
You will learn to:
- Recognize critical elements of the commissioning process needed for LEED projects
- Develop a practical approach to LEED commissioning documentation
- Plan for both prerequisite and optional commissioning tasks
- Implement successful tools and techniques from past LEED projects
- Budget for commissioning costs and explain the benefits to owners
- Create a commissioning plan that satisfies the LEED v4 requirements
Who Should Attend?
Who should attend?
- Project managers and planners
- Commissioning authorities and agents
- Building owners
- Construction managers
- Building operating staff
- LEED consultants
8:00 Welcome and Overview
8:30 Commissioning and LEED
- Versions and structure (2009 and v4)
- Which Cx steps are required and optional in LEED
- Which systems must be commissioned
- Choosing the commissioning authority
10:00 Developing OPR and BOD for LEED
- Required elements
- OPR - project-specific sustainability goals
- BOD - design assumptions and system performance narratives
11:15 Commissioning Specifications for LEED
- Required elements in a Cx spec
- Cx team organization
- Managing the Cx process during construction
1:00 Installation and Performance Verification
- Field observations
- Installation checkouts
- Startup completion verification
- Readiness checkout
- Performance testing
3:15 LEED Commissioning Plan and Report
- LEED required elements
- Suggested contents
- Detailed example plan
4:15 Workshop: Creating a Commissioning Plan
5:00 Daily Adjournment
8:00 Workshop Reports
8:30 LEED Cx Design and Submittal Reviews
- Design review– timing– issues to look for and reporting your findings– making sure your comments are addressed
- Submittal review– adding value to the process– incorporating your comments in a timely manner
10:00 Systems Manual, Training, and Warranty Reviews
- What LEED requires
- Best practice
- Case studies
11:00 LEED Version 4: Commissioning the Building Enclosure
- Suggested knowledge and process
1:00 Scope and Budget for LEED Commissioning
- Factors that affect Cx budget/fees
- LEED consulting tasks vs. commissioning tasks
- Example approaches for common situations
2:15 Commissioning in Other LEED Versions
- LEED O+M
- LEED ID+C
3:00 Course Adjourns
3:15 University of Wisconsin CxP Certification Exam Review (part 2, until 5 p.m.)
Joy Altwies, PhD, PE, LEED AP+, is a Program Director for the University of Wisconsin-Madison Office of Engineering Professional Development (EPD). For over 16 years, Dr. Altwies has developed and taught continuing education courses emphasizing high-performance building design and construction, mechanical system design and operation, energy efficiency, and commissioning. She is also Program Director of the Master of Sustainable Systems Engineering (SSE) degree program and an instructor of two graduate courses in the program.
Prior to joining the University of Wisconsin, Joy worked as a consulting engineer focusing on energy efficiency and environmentally responsible building design and construction. She provided commissioning services for a variety of projects with a strong emphasis on green and sustainable building principles. She also provided LEED assistance and green design opportunity analysis for clients seeking these specialized services in the commercial building market. As a certified home energy rater for the national Energy Star Homes® program, her work also encompassed the residential building market.
Dr. Altwies is an active member of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), where she currently serves as Vice Chair and Research Chair for the Building Environmental Impacts and Sustainability technical committee (TC 2.8). She has also served on committees for the U.S. Green Building Council and is a former member of the Board of Directors of the Wisconsin Green Building Alliance.
Joy earned a Doctorate in Environment and Resources through the Gaylord Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies at UW-Madison. Her interdisciplinary research investigated the impact of building energy code policies on technology adoption in the commercial and residential building sectors. She also holds Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees in Mechanical Engineering.
H. Jay Enck
H. Jay Enck, a principal at Commissioning and Green Building Solutions, Inc., has more than 20 years of experience in HVAC, plumbing and alternative energy systems, and energy efficiency analysis. He is a LEED¿ accredited professional and contributing author of ASHRAE’s Green Guide, founding member of US Green Building Council Atlanta Region Chapter, and member of several USGBC technical advisory groups.
Upcoming dates (0)
Take this course when it’s offered next!
Create a custom learning experience
We can deliver this course as an on-site learning experience tailored to your organization’s specific training needs.
On-site / Customizable
We Bring It to You
Build a tighter team with an on-site training course. Choose from our most popular topics. We’ll create a collaborative experience based on your class size and specifications.
We Build It for You
Shape a course to meet your specific training needs. Add specialized topics and technology. Tweak the course materials. Make it yours. We’ll make it possible.
We Create It With You
Start from scratch with an unbiased analysis of your company’s training needs. We’ll help you pinpoint opportunities and develop a smart program for your in-house talent.