How to save your asphalt—and save money
Identify fixes for asphalt problems that will extend the life of your pavement while extending your budget. Enroll now in this practical, respected course to find cost-effective solutions to your asphalt pavement repair, maintenance, and rehabilitation problems.
Ensure high-quality pavement
Put proven preventive maintenance and rehabilitation techniques to work, including crack sealing, patching, asphalt surface treatments, in-place recycling, and overlays.
Who Should Attend?
- Public works employees, including street maintenance supervisors, construction inspectors, highway engineering supervisors, civil engineers, engineering technicians, and crew leaders
- Consultants and contractors involved in pavement maintenance and rehabilitation projects
- Facility maintenance managers and building and grounds supervisors responsible for the maintenance of parking lots and roadways
- Others who manage maintenance budgets, determine pavement repair or rehabilitation techniques, or implement pavement maintenance programs
"I've been in construction for most of my life. I found this course to be very practical and informative."
—Donald Pound, Sante Fe County, New Mexico
"UW does an excellent job with these courses. They always have knowledgeable people from the field."
—Mike Joosten, Engineering Senior Technician, City of DePere, Wisconsin
"A lot of questions I've had for years—I've finally been able to talk to people who can answer them."
—Manny Ghiselline, City of Wilsonville, California
"I enjoyed learning from all four presenters who are extremely knowledgeable in the field of asphalt paving. I have a better idea of repairs, and what I should look for when our contractors do repairs for our facilities."
—Dave Polito, Facilities Maintenance Coordinator, Wegmans Food Markets, Rochester, New York
Live Online Session 1 - Asphalt Pavement Performance
- How to select asphalt and aggregate for effective performance
- Factors affecting pavement thickness design
- Reclaimed asphalt pavement (RAP) and reclaimed asphalt shingles (RAS)
- Special mixes: stone matrix asphalt (SMA), open-graded friction course (OGFC), warm mix asphalt
- Porous asphalt pavement
Live Online Session - 2 Asphalt Pavement Evaluation
Learn how to:
- Identify pavement distresses and causes of distresses
- Relate pavement distress types and distress severity to cost-effective repair strategies
- Implement a simple pavement rating and evaluation system
Between Sessions 2 & 3 - Asphalt Pavement Evaluation Exercise
Live Online Session 3 - Cracksealing and Patching
- Cost-effective crack sealing
- Cracksealing best practices
- Safe and proper equipment use
- Selecting materials for your pavement conditions and environment
- Understanding temporary and permanent patching techniques
- Patching equipment options
- Patching trench excavations
Live Online Session 4 - Asphalt Surface Treatments
- Learn about materials and methods for fog seal, slurry seal, micro-surfacing, chip seal, and scrub seal
- Use chip seal materials and equipment effectively
- Implement quality, cost-effective chip seal procedures
- Select surface treatments for low-volume roads, parking lots, and recreational facilities
Between Sessions 4 & 5 Asphalt Surface Treatment Exercise
Live Online Session 5 - In-Place Asphalt Pavement Recycling and Rehabilitation
- Learn effective techniques for cold in-place recycling, hot in-place recycling, full-depth reclamation
Live Online Session 6 - Asphalt Pavement Construction: Using the Inspection Checklist
- Characteristics of asphaltic concrete
- Pre-construction activities
- Paving equipment and methods
- Laying and compacting
- Test methods and results
Upcoming dates (1)
Fee Includes: Attend all 6 live online sessions plus access to the course materials and recorded sessions.
- CEU: 1.5
- PDH: 15
2/9/2021 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM CT
2/16/2021 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM CT
2/23/2021 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM CT
3/2/2021 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM CT
3/9/2021 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM CT
3/16/2021 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM CT
Instructor(s)Benjamin Jordan, Timothy Murphy, Thomas Wood, Ervin Dukatz
LocationThis is an online course.
If you cannot attend, please notify us no later than one week before your course begins, and we will refund your fee. Cancellations received after this date and no-shows are subject to a $150 administrative fee. You may enroll a substitute at any time before the course starts.