Fundamentals of IC Engine Performance and ThermodynamicsSee upcoming dates
Students will understand why IC engines are important for cost effective portable power, and the important performance and thermodynamic principles of IC engines. Understand the use of IC engines, comparisons to other work cycles, performance criteria, combustion modes, pressure-volume work analysis, power, torque, efficiency, and MEP comparisons. Students will also learn how thermodynamics are applied to engines, the thermodynamic efficiency limit and why lean combustion is better.
Who Should Attend?
Students seeking a basic understanding of IC engine performance and thermodynamics and students interested in taking higher level IC engine courses.
Tab 1 - Overview of Engine Mechanical Systems
- Power Technology Comparison
- Combustion Cycles and Regimes
- Design Configuration and Criteria
- Current and Future Markets
Tab 2 - Pressure-Volume Analysis, Work, and Power
- Power and Efficiency
- Piston Work Calculations
Tab 3 - Applying Thermodynamic in Compression, Combustion, and Expansion
- Maximum Work of IC Engines
- Entropy and Thermodynamic Availability
- Properties of the Engine Cycles
- Heat Release and Specific Heat Ratio
Upcoming dates (0)
Take this course when it’s offered next!