Fleet Management Effective Practices for Public and Private FleetsSee upcoming dates
Save up to five percent or more annually on your fleet operating costs and better manage your capital and operating expenses using the insights gained by attending this course.
Who Should Attend?
- Fleet directors, fleet managers and maintenance managers
- Company directors, officers and owners
- Public works managers and directors
- Fleet shop supervisors and managers
- Lead mechanics and technicians
Welcome and Introduction
Fleet Management Best Practices for Public and Private Fleets
- Strategic and tactical planning
- Use of management information systems
- Capital and operating strategies
- Return-on-investment analysis
- Activity-based costing
- Life cycle cost planning
- Vehicle replacement analysis: repair, rebuild, remove, or scrap
- Metrics for fleets and shops
- Outsourcing analysis and metrics
- Vendor analysis case study
- Audit preparation: regulatory, financial, and legal
Fleet Shop Management for Vehicles and Equipment
- Maintenance: scheduled, unscheduled, predictive and preventative
- Maintenance activity metrics and analysis
- Warranty and recall management
- Oil and fuel analysis
- Work scheduling, backlog limits
- Productivity measurement and metrics
Fleet Problem-solving Case
Study and Exercise – Staffing and Space
- Garage rehabilitation
- New garage construction
- Greening fleet facilities
Specifying and Procuring Vehicles and Equipment
- Strategies for purchase and financing
- Standardizing vehicle configurations
- Vehicle chassis and mounted equipment specifications
- Vehicle specification calculations: weight distribution, speedability, and gradeability
- Bid terms and conditions
- Bid evaluation
- Vehicle delivery and acceptance
- Auction and sales strategies and management
Vehicle Specification Exercise
Fleet Shop Floor Problem Identification, Prioritization, and Problem Solving
Case Study and Exercise
Wrap-up Exercise: Staffing, Capital, and Operating Strategies
"I feel better prepared to manage my fleet."
—Russell Narahara, Senior Management Analyst, City of Redwood City Public Works, California
"Absolutely worth the expense. The course content far exceeded my expectations. I feel much more informed and prepared to make fleet decisions."
—Jacob Rector, High County Beverage, Johnstown, Colorado
"John is a great teacher with a lot of knowledge and years of experience—and it shows"
—Mike Risberg, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
"For a beginner in a municipal fleet this course is perfect for me to establish a good maintenance program."
—Michael Schnabel, Central Garage Foreman, Village of Larchmont Department of Public Works, New York
John E. Dolce is a fleet director with Wendel Companies in Roseland, New Jersey. He has more than 40 years of experience in management and operation of public and private fleets. Dolce earned an associate’s degree in Applied Science in auto and diesel technology from the State University of New York at Farmingdale and bachelor’s and master’s degrees in industrial management from New York University. He is the author of three fleet management books and has helped more than 550 fleets implement cost saving management strategies..
Program Director at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, Department of Engineering Professional Development, Ben develops continuing education courses for civil engineers and public works professionals. He is also director of the Wisconsin Transportation Information Center, providing training and technical assistance to county highway departments, town road departments and city and village public works departments in Wisconsin. Mr. Jordan has over 35 years of experience in civil engineering and public works. He earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign and is a Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois.
Upcoming dates (0)
Take this course when it’s offered next!
Fleet ManagementCourse #: RA01064
Fleet ManagementDate: Tue. June 04, 2019 – Wed. June 05, 2019
Fee covers morning and afternoon breaks, scheduled lunches, and course materials
- CEU: 1.2
- PDH: 12
Create a custom learning experience
We can deliver this course as an on-site learning experience tailored to your organization’s specific training needs.
On-site / Customizable
We Bring It to You
Build a tighter team with an on-site training course. Choose from our most popular topics. We’ll create a collaborative experience based on your class size and specifications.
We Build It for You
Shape a course to meet your specific training needs. Add specialized topics and technology. Tweak the course materials. Make it yours. We’ll make it possible.
We Create It With You
Start from scratch with an unbiased analysis of your company’s training needs. We’ll help you pinpoint opportunities and develop a smart program for your in-house talent.